Friday, April 18, 2008

After returning to Baba's asrama, he wrote on his dry-erase board, "What will you take?" for food. We told him we were fine and not to feed us. Baba shook his head and wrote " if you like, I will make my special sweet rice". We fell over each other saying that Baba should just make whatever he wanted and we will take anything.
Baba then wrote " if you ORDER me I will make my special sweet rice".
He then underlined and circled "sweet rice".

We laughingly told him " Baba, we ORDER you to make your special sweet rice". He merrily bounded off to the kitchen with the biggest smile to prepare what would soon be the single most delicious thing I have ever had in my life.
After making japa for some time, we all sat down inside the kutir and leaf plates were put down in front of each of us. Baba then brought the largest single plate of rice I had ever seen. It was yellow from turmeric and saffron and had chilis, golden raisisn, brown raisins, cashews, and alot of various spices including cardamom pods. Baba heaped huge spoonfulls on to our plates and stopped only when they threatened to overflow with the subji and capatis and other breads that had very obviously come from vrajavasi madhukari that day. (I just realized that when the young Babajis opened their tiffin containers and took out the breads and put them on our plates, they were from madhukari. Vrajavasi madhukari! Wow- I feel very blessed and humbled to know that I received food from Vrajavasis!) After a short prayer, we dug in with gusto. I already told you that it was the best food I had ever tasted, but... I tell you, that the rice was spicy, sweet, savory and full of ghee. It was so soothing and stimulating and flavorful that my mouth wanted nothing more than to eat this dish always. Baba sat on a low bed and drew pictures of flowers on his dry erase board and waited for some room to be made on our plates at which time he shoveled more on to them.
I could not make the rice dissappear fast enough. Baba kept at it. I ate more and more and more kept coming. Friends, this sounds funny but after a lifetime of eating too much, I had met my match. I quietly asked Madhavananda if I could stop eating and he said something to the effect of, "well, you need to do what you need to do".
I decided that after a lifetime of over-eating nasty (non-veg) things till I was fat, I would not miss this opportunity to eat anything and everything that Baba was giving.
(I know that would not be practical in the long term, but I did not know how long I would be with Baba, so...)
After dinner and washing, we sat down on our beds.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home